M6_4 Facilitating in the Mentoring Arrangement
Discuss -> Use facilitative-mentoring in the mentoring arrangement:
Suggested Actions ... based on answering this question:
"Can you discuss -> use of facilitative-mentoring in the mentoring arrangement?"
If yes - move to the next lesson or module
If no - follow this pathway
1. Watch the videos
2. Identify 3-5 Key Learning Points from watching each video
3. Read the Notes and Additional Resources below - if available
4. Summarize your learning
5. Confirm you can answer the question with "Yes"
Use the Comment section below - Public message
Use this link for a Private message via the website Contact Form
The second section of the video above is about faciltitating - the first section is about coaching.
The videos below offer more insights.
- to make easier or less difficult; help forward
- to assist the progress of (a person)
- Facilitation is a method used to help groups develop processes that are effective in order to accomplish desired outcomes.
Discuss the relationship between mentoring and facilitating:
- From a mentor training perspective facilitation makes the learning process easier
- Training that is facilitated versus taught or telling is more in line with the overall mentoring process - Socratic method,
- By facilitating we are providing a learning environment for the mentor and mentee
- The environment is more about the development of critical thinking skills
- Through facilitation you are asking questions to guide them to a desired outcome
Discuss situations where facilitating is not appropriate for a mentoring arrangement:
- When the person is not properly trained in facilitation
- When the role of the mentor is to actively listen and not be asking questions
- In a lot of personal challenge situations it would not be prudent to facilitate
Discuss procedures when moving out of mentoring to facilitate:
- Would be common when doing group mentoring
- There would still be overtures of mentoring in the process
- Depending on the group you could communicate the change in process