M5_3 Question & Answer in Mentoring Arrangement
Discuss -> Use the question and answer approach in the mentoring arrangement:
Suggested Actions ... based on answering this question:
"Can you discuss -> use the question and answer approach in the mentoring arrangement?"
If yes - move to the next lesson or module
If no - follow this pathway
1. Watch the videos
2. Identify 3-5 Key Learning Points from watching each video
3. Read the Notes and Additional Resources below - if available
4. Summarize your learning
5. Confirm you can answer the question with "Yes"
Use the Comment section below - Public message
Use this link for a Private message via the website Contact Form
Define question and questioning:
- Question: a sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information.
- Questioning: is a major form of human thought and interpersonal communication.
- It involves employing a series of questions to explore an issue, an idea or something intriguing.
- Questioning is the process of forming and wielding that serves to develop answers and insight.
Define answer and answering:
- Answer: a thing said, written, or done to deal with or as a reaction to a question, statement, or situation.
- Answering: say or write something to deal with or as a reaction to someone or something.
Identify characteristics of a useful question:
- Open but with direction
- Guides without prescribing
- Encourages higher levels of thinking
Identify characteristics of a useful answer:
- Easy to Understand.
- Written in Briefly.
- Using Simple Sentences. (Using your own words)
- Relevance to the Question.
- Group the topics included. (Clearance)
- Organization of the answer.
- Understandable Words or Sentences (Not using shorten words)
- Correction of Grammar and Spellings.
- Research Based Answers.
Discuss the interaction between question and answer (Socratic Method):
- based on asking and answering questions to stimulate critical thinking and to draw out ideas and underlying presumptions.
- The discipline of Socratic conversation is in the ability to persist in questioning a single idea. This willful repetition affords us the experience of seeing a much richer variety of answers and possible views come into play.
- It is the variety of responses that must inevitably come when we persist in questioning an idea that makes our the conversation more useful. Modern debates usually offer two views that formally deny each other.
- The Socratic method persists with a basic question and does not let go until an answer that can stand up to examination is found.
- This is a far more creative and fertile mode of conversation than mere debate.
- It is the creativity of teamwork towards a common goal.
Discuss the value of the mentee asking questions:
- Assists in the development of critical thinking skills
- Answering questions is one way to develop critical thinking
- Asking questions is another way to develop those skill sets
- The mentee may become a better mentor as a result of being more involved in the Socratic method
- The mentee will have questions to ask of the mentor too and needs to think of the purpose of their questions – what are they wanting to find out or have clarified? – as well as being clear in what they are asking.