M5_1 Personal Bias Mentoring Arrangement
Discuss -> Manage the impact of personal bias on mentoring arrangement:
Suggested Actions ... based on answering this question:
"Can you discuss -> Manage the impact of personal bias on mentoring arrangement?"
If yes - move to the next lesson or module
If no - follow this pathway
1. Watch the videos
2. Identify 3-5 Key Learning Points from watching each video
3. Read the Notes and Additional Resources below - if available
4. Summarize your learning
5. Confirm you can answer the question with "Yes"
Use the Comment section below - Public message
Use this link for a Private message via the website Contact Form
- prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.
- cause to feel or show inclination or prejudice for or against someone or something.
Define personal bias on mentoring arrangement:
- Those working in a mentoring relationship may develop friendships over time.
- It is important to have a clear mentoring relationship and not allow personal bias to influence professional actions.
- Stay mindful of maintaining confidentiality, objectivity and equal partnership.
- Personal bias is when you have a preference for one way of doing things and are not open to any other suggestions. You may feel that mentoring and deep friendships go hand in hand - which is clearly outside the scope of a mentoring arrangement
Discuss the awareness required in dealing with personal bias in a mentoring arrangement:
- Most importantly for the mentor is the need to manage his/her personal bias in the mentoring arrangement
- The need to reflect forward to visualize the mentoring session and to ensure they check their bias at the door is critical to the success of the arrangement
- Understanding the type of mentoring session they are beginning will help them ensure that their personal bias does not enter the equation
Discuss ways to lessen the impact of personal bias on a mentoring arrangement:
- Open and honest communication
- Trusted relationship
- Can be avoided through better selection process of mentor/mentee