M2_6 Ethical Values in Mentoring Arrangement
Discuss -> Manage ethical values in the mentoring arrangement
*fairness - respect - trust
Suggested Actions ... based on answering this question:
"Can you discuss -> manage ethical values in the mentoring arrangement?"
If yes - move to the next lesson or module
If no - follow this pathway
1. Watch the videos
2. Identify 3-5 Key Learning Points from watching each video
3. Read the Notes and Additional Resources below - if available
4. Summarize your learning
5. Confirm you can answer the question with "Yes"
Use the Comment section below - Public messageUse this link for a Private message via the website Contact Form
These additional videos offer more insights and may spark a different perspective for your understanding and apllication of ethical values.
- impartial and just treatment or behavior without favoritism or discrimination.
Identify examples of fairness in mentoring arrangement:
- You can be an advocate for your mentee while still retaining your objectivity and fairness and not unfairly influencing any process either of you may be involved in
- Providing the encouragement to the mentee - at the same time reality
- Commitment to the relationship initially and then dwindling off as time progresses
- Relationship is suffering - discuss and if need be find another mentor
Discuss the benefits of fairness to the mentoring arrangement:
- Mutual respect - can carry on to those outside the relationship
- Open communication
- Creates a safe environment
- Creates two way learning opportunities
Discuss situations where and when lack of fairness will negatively affect the mentoring arrangement:
- Advocating for your mentee when they may not have the capabilities
- Hidden agenda
- Poor communication
- Unsafe environment - lack of trust
- A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
Identify examples of respect in mentoring arrangement:
- Respect is part of the two way relationship
- The mentor respects the mentee for wanting to be mentored
- The mentee respects the mentor for wanting to guide them
- Creation of safe environment is done with respect
- Building of trust is done with respect for each other
- Sharing of information (personal) is done with respect for each other
Discuss the benefits of respect to the mentoring arrangement:
- More open communication
- Feel better about ourselves
- More likely to cope with challenges/opportunities
- Based on mutual benefit
Discuss situations where and when lack of respect will negatively affect the mentoring arrangement:
- Will hamper the two way relationship
- Create a lack of trust
- Will not get full benefit of mentoring
- Poor communication resulting in not sharing information
- Can also impact the image of mentoring
- Lack of respect would result in lower level of commitment
- A mentee showing respect for his or her mentor includes being respectful of meeting times and prepared for meetings.
- Participants stated that the best mentees attended mentorship meetings with lists of topics for discussion, including timelines for projects.
- Participants felt that mentees needed to be respectful of the competing demands on their mentors, including meetings with other mentees and their own deadlines.
- In particular, participants raised the concern that if mentees sent mentors their manuscripts, grants, or other documents and ask for a quick review without advance notice, it increases the stress on mentors and, in some cases, leads to burnout for the mentors who may provide similar services for many mentees.
- firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something.
- believe in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of.
Identify examples of trust in mentoring arrangement:
- Trust is the foundation to success
- Without a trusted relationship you have nothing
- Sharing of personal information
- Actions from promises
- Capacity to deliver on what we have said
- Safe environment - trusted environment
- Comfortable in the journey that lies ahead
Discuss the benefits of fairness, respect and trust to the mentoring arrangement:
- These three factors are mandatory elements to a successful mentoring arrangement
- Each one is an integral part of the relationship process
- With either or all of these elements out of the equation there would be no mentoring arrangement.
- Imagine a mentor arrangement without any one of these elements
Discuss situations where and when lack of trust will negatively affect the mentoring arrangement:
- If you don’t trust the person you are in a mentoring relationship with you don’t really have a relationship
- There would be no sharing of information
- It would be unclear where we are going
- Without trust you have nothing
- Would be unable to define what the root causes are of some of the challenges
- Communication would be one way
- Personality differences
- Communication style clashes