M1_11 Speak Responsively
Speak responsively - also, Share responsively:
Suggested Actions ... based on answering this question:
"Can you speak responsively?"
If yes - move to the next lesson or module
If no - follow this pathway
1. Watch the videos
2. Identify 3-5 Key Learning Points from watching each video
3. Read the Notes and Additional Resources below - if available
4. Summarize your learning
5. Confirm you can answer the question with "Yes"
Use the Comment section below - Public message
Use this link for a Private message via the website Contact Form
The video to the right was from the first video set we created in 2018-2019.
It's here as an additional resource ... it covers the important points in the video above. However, the way it's said here may spark a different perspective.
- The action of conveying information or expressing one's thoughts and feelings in spoken language.
- Quick to respond or react appropriately or sympathetically
- Using responses.
Identify ways speaking is enhanced:
- Practice, practice, practice
- Demonstrate passion
- Demonstrate knowledge of topic
- Speak clearly
Identify ways speaking is blocked:
- No passion
- Apparent lack of knowledge or lack of being prepared
- Not presentable - no audience appeal
- Overuse of hands and voice
Discuss ways to improve speaking:
- Practice and prepare
- Organize your material and be prepared
- Watch for feedback and be flexible to adjust
- Let your personality come through
- Tell stories
- Use voice and hands effectively’
Discuss ways for the mentor to speak responsively with the mentee:
- Mentor needs to demonstrate passion and caring in their speech
- Use of storytelling is a good idea
- Active listening - you need to listen and hear what the mentee is actually saying
- React to body language
Discuss ways the mentor confirms speaking responsively:
- Mentee will react positively
- More engaging of a conversation
- Energy level will change
- Deeper level of trust