M1_10 Listen Consciously
Suggested Actions ... based on answering this question:
"Can you listen consciously?"
If yes - move to the next lesson or module
If no - follow this pathway
1. Watch the videos
2. Identify 3-5 Key Learning Points from watching each video
3. Read the Notes and Additional Resources below - if available
4. Summarize your learning
5. Confirm you can answer the question with "Yes"
Use the Comment section below - Public message
Use this link for a Private message via the website Contact Form
April 2020 - sometimes we use the phrase listen responsively in place of listen consciously
- give one's attention to a sound.
- take notice of and act on what someone says; respond to advice or a request.
- make an effort to hear something; be alert and ready to hear something.
- in a deliberate and intentional way.
- in a way that is directly perceptible to and under the control of the person concerned.
Identify ways listening is enhanced:
- By being in the moment - being present
- Maintaining eye contact
- Asking questions when appropriate
- Pausing before speaking
Identify ways listening is blocked:
- No eye contact
- Not being present
- Thinking of your response instead of listening
- Location of conversation
- Emotional conversation
Discuss ways to improve listening:
- Practice, practice, practice
- Visualize conversations - visualize listening
- Visualize responding while listening to an actual conversation
Discuss ways for the mentor to listen consciously to the mentee:
- Listen for cues - trigger words in the conversation
- These will help you in what the next series of questions you may ask
- Listen for deflections - your mentee may not wish to disclose that information right now
- EARS listening model -
Discuss ways the mentor confirms listening consciously:
- Pays attention to the mentee